EC SOURCE SERVICES
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST I
|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Environmental Scientist I will primarily be expected to conduct field reconnaissance, research, and other duties necessary for the preparation of Due Diligence reports for Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs). In addition to these duties, the Environmental Scientist I may also support various tasks related to environmental planning, permitting, and compliance for infrastructure construction projects. Growth opportunities exist to learn new job skills, such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), capturing pre-construction aerial footage with drones, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct project research to applicable scopes of work (historical, analytical, etc.) for Phase I and Phase II ESAs.
- Conduct site reconnaissance including sampling activities.
- Data compilation and organization.
- Technical report authoring.
- Prepare quality supporting documents (site figures, appendices, etc.).
- Complete and finalize specific project tasks according to deadlines and budget.
- Research various federal, state, and local environmental rules and regulations.
- Support efforts to obtain various construction permits and produce environmental plans, e.g., SWPPP; air quality; DOT, railroad, utility, right-of-way crossing or encroachment; SPCC, waste management, and dust control plans, etc.
- Attend and participate in meetings with construction personnel and project management.
- Support various pre-construction activities such as creating environmental training materials.
- With drones, capture pre- and post-construction aerial footage of project right-of-way, access roads, disturbance areas, etc.
- Conduct spatial analysis using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) using ESRI software.
- Follow safety rules, guidelines, and standards for all projects.
- Strictly adhere to company environmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain quality standards on all projects.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform work duties independently.
- Must be self-disciplined, motivated, and meet concurrent project deadlines.
- Able to conduct research, assess potential impacts, and communicate (verbally and written) appropriate solutions/recommendations.
- Ability to multitask and maintain effectiveness with multiple priorities.
- Detail-oriented team player and able to contribute to a positive work environment.
- Comfortable working in both an office environment and in the field.
- Comfortable interacting with clients, government agencies, sub-contractors, etc.
- Strong computer skills and a significant understanding of Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat, Google Earth, and others.
- Solid mathematical skills.
- Competency using GPS, GIS, and mobile devices.
- Comfortable traveling out-of-state for up to several days at a time; travel on short notice will be required at times.
- Professional demeanor; remain calm and emotionally controlled under pressure.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Must be able to lift 40-50 lbs.
- Must be able to traverse challenging terrain.
- Capable of working in varying or adverse environmental conditions.
- Able to withstand long hours in the field.
- Able to work flexible hours & travel up to 50%.
Education and/ or Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resource, Geology, Biology, Chemistry, or related field of study.
- Prior related experience is preferred.
- A record of prior employment documenting that the applicant is organized, motivated, dependable, and good at solving problems in a professional and timely manner.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and have a valid driver’s license.
- Preferred experience:
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40 hour.
- Certified Environmental Professional (EP), based on ASTM definition.
- Geographic Information System (GIS), ESRI Software, including ArcCollector/Field Maps.
- FAA Part 107 Commercial Drone Pilot.
- Planning and field experience on construction projects.
- Familiarity with electrical transmission and distribution line construction activities.