EC Source Services
FIELD SAFETY SPECIALIST I
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Responsible for all safety functions necessary to support Transmission and Substation Group, Mastec at assigned jobsite, projects and area.
Work as a leader in the safety department, functioning under the authority and direction of the Director of Safety and Health.This is an entry level position which will provide technical safety expertise and knowledge by consulting with supported lines of business and performing observations and assessments. The Field Safety Specialist 1 role makes recommendations and provides guidance on safe work practices and behaviors to influence and continually improve safety culture and performance and documents adherence to safe work practices and behaviors in the office and field. Frequently leads analysis to effectively identify safety-related factors and recommends corrective actions.
- After period of time, with a review by Safety leadership, it may be expected that a Field Safety Specialist 1 will have the ability to guide and consult 10-35 field employees daily to ensure safe work practice on the job
- Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Provides consistent, technical, and practical interpretation of regulations, procedures, and standards.
- In collaboration with the operations team, implements a strategy that supports the execution of work and controls.
- Identifies, proposes, and executes corrective action plans to eliminate identified safety risks and exposures and creates sustainable safety culture, conditions, and practices. When needed, partners with other Safety Professionals to provide insight and coaching in the developments of correction plans.
- Participates, facilitates, and sometimes conducts incident/accident investigations. Suggests and identifies improvement opportunities. Assures execution that identified corrective action are implemented.
- Identifies training needs of others, developing training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others in accordance with OSHA/DOT/State regulations.
- When needed, assumes the duties of the Project Safety Manager or Director.
- Builds productive relationships with field employees, supervisors and managers, directors, senior leaders, and safety to jointly identify, plan and prioritize the requirements to produce stronger safety leadership and management skills as well as safe practices.
- Engages with employees and leaders to increase safe behaviors, rule/procedure adherence, hazards and exposures and proactively uncovers barriers to safe work. Partners with other Safety Specialists when the escalation process is required and leads the briefing with the senior leaders.
- Inspects equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Proficient in OSHA recordkeeping.
- Performs daily safety observation with face-to-face interaction.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Travel will be required.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion.
- Strong organizational and document management skills
- Ability to multitask and maintain effectiveness with multiple priorities
- Professional demeanor; remain calm and emotionally controlled under pressure
- Detailed oriented and high attention to accuracy
- Strong mathematical skills
- Comfortable with working in a non-traditional office environment
- Demonstrated written and verbal skills
- Demonstrated Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word proficiency
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Specific documented evidence of training and experience to satisfy qualifications.
- Ability to attain or have CPR/First Aid or EMT certification, on-the-job experience managing a project safety program, and training experience.
- First Aid instructor is preferred
- OSHA 510 Certification
- OSHA 10 HR and 30 or Equiv. Instructor is preferred.
- Ability to attain CUSP (Certified Utility Safety Professional) or other professional certifications associated with safety prior to moving to next level.
- Ability to communicate and set Safety expectations through onboarding and orientation delivery
Education and/ or Work Experience:
- 3-5 year’s work experience in Transmission Power Line Construction preferred.
- BA/BS in Health & Safety or related field strongly preferred.
- Safety Professional Certifications is preferred.
- Journeyman Lineman/Certified High Voltage Electrician preferred.
- Working knowledge of OSHA 1910 and 1926 and recordkeeping.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- OSHA 10 and OSHA Construction Certification.
- OSHA Instructor in Construction is preferred.
- First Aid/CPR Instructor Certification preferred.