EC Source Services
FIELD SAFETY SPECIALIST II – GAS
|Location:||West Chicago, IL|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Ensure OSHA/Mastec/TSG Safety compliance in all activities. To be the expert in OSHA and Mastec/TSG Safety requirements and assist in identifying opportunities for improvements. Deliver skills and safety training to all department employees
Responsible for all safety functions necessary to support Transmission and Substation Group, Mastec at assigned jobsite, projects, and area
This is a second-tier level position which will provide technical safety expertise and knowledge by consulting with supported lines of business and performing observations, assessments, recommendations, and implementation for safe work practices. Field Safety Specialist II assures that performance and documents adhere to safe work practices and behaviors in the office and field. Consistently leads analysis to effectively identify safety-related factors and recommends corrective actions.
· Provides safety and health guidance to TSG operational leadership as well as sub-contractors performing work for Mastec TSG. Guides and consults 10-35 field employees daily to ensure safe work practice on the job site.· Uses relevant information and individual judgment to interpret whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.· Employee has the authority to deviate from company policy and procedures when an employee’s health and safety is threatened.· Provides consistent, technical, and practical interpretation of regulations, procedures, and standards.· Stops any unsafe acts or processes that are deemed dangerous or unhealthy· In collaboration with the operations team, implements a strategy that supports the execution of work and controls.· Identifies, proposes, and executes corrective action plans to eliminate identified safety risks and exposures to create sustainable safety culture, conditions, and practices.· Conducts incident/accident investigations. Identifies improvement opportunities and assures execution that identified corrective action is implemented.· Acts as a liaison with law enforcement and other investigators who are present at a time of a serious accident.· Identifies training needs of others, developing training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others in accordance with OSHA/DOT/State regulations.· Engages with employees and leaders to increase safe behaviors, rule/procedure adherence, hazards and exposures and proactively uncovers barriers to safe work.· Proactively inspects equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects. Sends equipment out for repair when necessary.· Proficient in OSHA recordkeeping.· Performs daily safety observation with face-to-face interaction.· Supervises and oversees the Field Safety Specialist I when applicable.· Other duties and projects as assigned.· Travel is required.
Skills & Abilities
Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion.
Strong organizational and document management skills.
Ability to multitask and maintain effectiveness with multiple priorities.
Professional demeanor; remain calm and emotionally controlled under pressure.
Detailed oriented and high attention to accuracy.
Strong mathematical skills.
Demonstrated written and verbal skills.
Demonstrated Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word proficiency.
Must have a valid Driver’s License.
Ability to attain or have CPR/First Aid or EMT certification, on-the-job experience managing a project safety program, and training experience.
Medic First Aid instructor is preferred.
OSHA 10 HR and 30 or Equiv. Instructor.
Has obtained CUSP (Certified Utility Safety Professional) or other professional certifications associated with Safety.
Ability to communicate and set Safety expectations through onboarding and orientation delivery.
Education and/ or Work Experience:
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· BA/BS in Health & Safety or related field strongly preferred.
· 3- 5 years of documented safety experience is required.
· 3-5 year’s work experience in Transmission Power Line Construction preferred.
· Ability to attain professional Safety certification, i.e. CUSP, CSP (Certified Safety Professional).
· Journeyman – Pipefitter, Operator, and/or Laborer – Utility Gas Distribution Delivery is a plus.
· Working knowledge of OSHA 1910 and 1926 and OSHA recordkeeping.
· OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 Certification.
· OSHA 510 Certification.
· OSHA Instructor Certification preferred.
· First Aid/CPR Instructor Certification preferred.